A Record of Elder Eastman's Missionary Service in the Quito Ecuador Mission

A Record of Elder Eastman's Missionary Service in the Quito Ecuador Mission

Monday, August 10, 2015

Spiritual Impressions and Some Fish Soup

Hey Mom!  I'm doing really good!  Life in Ambato has been great!  I love the weather here and being in the city is nice.  Keep woking hard with that new calling of yours!  I always love reading Alma 26:12.  It's a good scripture to remember when we are doing hard things.  
This week my testimony grew the most about spiritual impressions, praying and fasting.  So last friday night our last cita around 8:30 fell.  We didnt really know what to do.  So we were kinda just walking down the road.  Then i felt like we should go the the Flia. Durán (Toapanta) and the thought that they might be having relationship problems also came into my head.  I didnt really pay much attention to it for a little while.  But then I got a second, and even stronger impression where the words, "Get to the Flia. Durán" came into my head.  So that made me think a bit more about going there.  We can only visit this family on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays.  So going there on a Friday isn't something we would normaly do.  I then asked the question, do we need to go there? in a little prayer in my head.  Then I felt good about it so I was set on going there.  The image came into my head of Luis (the dad) praying for us to come over.  We got there and Luis answered the door.  He came out crying and told us to come in.  So we came in and he told us that his wife had just left him and went to go live with her parents.  He told us that he had been hoping that someone would come over to help him, and that right after that we knocked on the door.  He said how his family means everything to him and that he wants more than anything for his wife and kids to come back.  So we then tried to help him the best that we could.  The next few days were filled with prayers to help him and his wife and that they might get back together.  Also on Saturday and Sunday I fasted for those same things (it was a planned fast as a zone to help with our goal but i decided to include them in it as well).  On Sunday Luis came to church but Gabriela (the wife) didnt.  Then we visited him again that afternoon.  To our astonishment Gabriela was also there with him in their house.  That made us super super happy and Luis seemed about 1,000x happier than what he was before.  During the lesson they both shared with us their desires to get better and fix the relationship issues they are having.  This was a wonderful experience this week and I definitly learned alot from it.  
Oh darn that is a big bummer that the package (for Chelsea) hasnt gotten there.  Hopefully it'll get there eventualy.  Maybe I'll just send something again. 
I do like that pillow case alot.  The socks were a bit big but I'm sure i could just dry them in a dryer and theyll shrink a bit.  
Well I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Elder Eastman

Picture:  This is called Encebollado.  It's a fish soup that we had for lunch today at a members house.  It's pretty good.

Encebollado (Spanishcooked with onions) is a fish stew from Ecuador, regarded as a national dish. It is served with boiled cassava and pickled red onion rings. A dressing of onion is prepared with fresh tomato and spices such as pepper or coriander leaves. It is commonly prepared with albacore, but also tunabillfish, or bonito. It may be served with ripe avocado.
This dish, is usually served with banana chips, plantains, popcorn, or bread as side dishes; it is sold by peddlers either as breakfast, a mid-morning snack, or for lunch. It may be garnished with lime juice and chili sauce.
Hey my Father!  I'm doing super great!  That's good that you're running more now!  I would like to get back in shape like i was during XC and Track.  But there really just isnt much time to be able to do it.  I think I'll start running again when I get back though.  I set up a little mini gym in my house here.  It consists of a bench with a bar with water jugs on the ends for benching, another wooden stick (from a broom) with a bit less weight on each end for curling, and a couple of other water jugs for doing things that would normaly be done with one of those heavy ball things (a medicine ball?).  I also do some various ab workout stuff.  It's a pretty sweet system but it's not really enough to really be in shape.  And the time in the morning isnt really enough.  
That is a really good story in the Bible.  I'll definitely study it this week.  Right now I'm in Alma 28 or somewhere around there.  I just finished reading about the Anti-Nephi-Lehites and the sons of Mosiah.  I really like the stories about the Sons of Mosiah.  Especially how they at first had alot of hardships and not a whole lot of success, but when they kept trying they ended up having tons of success.  There was alot of things that I found that I can apply in my life as a missionary, also there's alot of things that everyone can apply to their own lives.  The stories about Alma, Alma and Amulek, and the Sons of Mosiah have alot of examples of how to be good missionaries.  So I really like those things that I've been studying.  
I love you too!

Elder Eastman

No comments:

Post a Comment