A Record of Elder Eastman's Missionary Service in the Quito Ecuador Mission

A Record of Elder Eastman's Missionary Service in the Quito Ecuador Mission

Monday, August 24, 2015

The End Goal In Mind (and not just to the top of Chimborazo)

Hey Dad!  I'm doing really good!  Sorry I wasnt able to write you guys very much last week!  This is what happened.  For a zone activity we went to a volcano called Chimborazo.  It's more down south from Ambato.  We left Ambato around 10:00 am.  So we took a bus down there, went to Chimborazo and it was all super cool.  Then we got back to the main road were all the buses pass around 1 pm, and we just expected to stop a bus going to Ambato and take that.  But none of the buses were stopping.  Eventually a bus that was going in the opposite direction to a city called Guaranda stopped for us.  So we just got on that.  Guaranda is the furthest city to the south of our mission.  Then when we got to the terminal in Guaranda we just took a bus from there to Ambato.  Then when we finally got back to Ambato it was already 7:00.  So our time to write had already passed.  When I wrote that little message we were in Guaranda waiting for the bus.  So that's what happened last week.   
That's super cool that you and you brothers got second place in that gold tournament!  Haha I really like that outfit of Luke.  Oh and a few days ago I got that letter from you guys with those drawings from your primary kids.  I really liked it.  There were some pretty awesome drawings in there! 

These pics our from our adventures at Chimborazo

It was really windy and really really cold here.  I think the top of Chimborazo is the furthest point from surface of the earth to the center of the earth in the world.  Im not exactly sure but someone told me that.  

Well that's just about it!  I love you too Dad!

Elder Eastman


Hey Mom!  Haha well I'll try and write a bit more this week.  I'm really sorry I wasnt able to write much last week.  I explained to Dad why I wasnt able to.  It's kind of a long story.  No I cant see the ash from Cotopaxi.  It's been a bit cloudy lately and living in the city in a flat sector makes it so I cant really see the mountains very well.  But yes Cotopaxi is kind of exploding now.  Well it erruped a bit last week and that made everyone in Latacunga (a city close to Cotopaxi also in my zone) go crazy.  The missionaries are still there though.  But after that small erruption it calmed back down.  Which could mean that nothing more will happen or that it will explode again very violently.  If that happens Latacunga and a part of Quito called Los Chillos will pretty much get completly destroyed.  So that's pretty exciting!
Wow that's crazy that Emma is going into High School tomorrow!  It feels like school just ended like a few weeks ago.  
Well I've got some bummer news.  A little over a week ago my retainer on my bottom teeth broke.  Well it just broke off on one side.  I havn't had time to go and fix it yet.  And today the other side broke off too.  So it's not in my mouth any more.  Hopefully I'll get some time soon to put it back it.  It should only cost about $20.  That's it for the bummer news.  
So last week Elder Waddell from the Seventy came to talk to us.  It was a pretty amazing experience.  The Spirit was strong and I learned alot.  One of the favorite things that I learned was when he was talking a bit about the Priesthood.  He said that the greatest and most important purpose of the Priesthood is to create eternal families.  Which is really true when you think about it.  All the things that we do in this church using the Priesthood helps us to get to the Temple.  Like baptism, recieving the Holy Ghost, taking the Sacrament, giving and receiving blessings, and actually sealing a family is all done to help us along the path to the Temple and create an eternal family.  He also talked about getting converts not just baptisms, becuase baptism without later going to the Temple is pretty much worth nothing.  Baptism shouldnt be the final goal for us or for an investigator, it should be going to the Temple to make and eternal family.  So I really liked that.  It's helping me work more with the end goal in mind, which is what we should always be doing as missionaries.  
Thanks a bunch mom for those lyrics!  I really really like it.  
So I have been kind of wanting lately that grey Calvin Klein sweater that I have at home because I've been looking for a grey sweater here but I havnt found a good one.  So I was wondering if you could include that in the envelope if it isnt too big of a hassel.  
Well that's it for now!  I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Elder Eastman












No comments:

Post a Comment